This week really flew by! We had a lot going on and then had lots of family visiting for the weekend of the 4th. Looking forward to a slower week next week.
The bump continues to grow quickly. I’m having a tough time sitting with my legs crossed since I’m carrying SO LOW this time. I’m noticing that when I move, I need to be a little more careful about where the bump is. I’m also starting to run into things with the bump. Baby Girl 2.0 is crazy active and I think she may have moved into a transverse position at some point during the week because I was getting bumps and thumps on both sides of my belly at the same time.
A little bit of news this week….we’re switching care providers, again. It’s been a decision that I’ve been debating since the first meeting with the new practice, and I finally came to the conclusion that it was time to make the change. I really wanted to like the new practice—they are supposed to be low-intervention and very hands-off and they have 2 docs and a midwife, so it’s a small practice. To make a long story short, I had a fairly quick (but really not that fast) labor with M (and probably would have been faster had I not had a stressful situation going on regarding my paperwork/doctor and then an epidural) and it’s possible this labor may be really quick (or really long…who really knows?). The first time induction was brought up, they made it seem like it was for MY benefit since I have a toddler running around. I wasn’t bothered by that, because I’m sure some moms would prefer that, especially if they didn’t have someone to watch their toddler at the drop of a hat. But I made it clear that was not an option unless it became medically necessary. The conversation should have not continued past that point. But it got brought up again. And AGAIN. I continued to decline this option, and wanted to yell, “DON’T YOU PEOPLE WRITE ANYTHING DOWN????”.
After the last time, I started to get very concerned that if something goes a little bit wrong (like my Strep B test comes back positive) they are going to push and push for induction. I’m well aware I can decline it, but I’m really not in the mood to have to defend my choices over and over again.
Additionally, I’ve come to the realization over the past few months that we had what a friend called “The Kate Middleton Experience” in the hospital (Birth Story, Pt 1 and Pt 2) because I gave birth on a holiday weekend and was the only patient on L&D and 1 of 3 in the postpartum unit. We pretty much had an entire nursing staff to ourselves, and I had lactation consultants and nurses trained in breastfeeding at my beck and call for 2 days (and we definitely had some issues early on). Overall, the experience was great for a 1st time mom but I know it’s not likely to happen again since I’m not due around a holiday. I have a sinking feeling we will need to “battle” for our wishes this time, which I am not in the mood to do, and I don’t particularly want to stay in the hospital and signing out AMA sounds like more hassle than I want to deal with.
Still reading? Ha, this is a long post.
After realizing that I don’t particularly want the rest of my pregnancy and delivery to be a battle of wills, we decided to switch to a low-volume birth center (it’s basically a home birth, but in someone elses house. Having a tiny house and a toddler took the real homebirth option off the list). The place is great, and I love the midwives, but I’m not thrilled that I have to make this switch. However, my desire to be left alone as long as things remain uncomplicated is stronger than my desire for an epidural this time. If for some reason I risk out of the birth center or have to transfer mid-labor, then I’ll be delivering in a different hospital than the one where I had M. As long as things go well, I should be able to leave the birth center 2-4 hours after Baby 2.0 is born, and the midwives provide several home checks after birth so I don’t have to go into an office. If I have to transfer to a hospital for some reason, we will deal with things as they come.
I’m sharing this on the blog since it’s my “journal”, but we’re not publicly blasting the fact that we’re going rogue and planning a birth at a “controversial” location. With pregnancy, birth, and parenting it’s pretty much “you’re damned if you do, you’re damned if you don’t”, so no matter how and where you give birth, people will judge/make comments if they would have done something differently. There are so many “debates” in the mommy world and I’ve made it a point to take myself away from those (I unsubscibe from blogs, facebook pages/profiles, instagrams, etc. that overshare their opinions—even if I agree with them) because I don’t find them helpful, I think it adds to isolating people who may not fully agree with your decision, and this birth will be no different (so don’t send me articles on OMGhowwonderfulnaturalbirthis or how OMGbirthcentersaresodangerous). I choose to stay far away from the crazy, divided birth culture going on in many areas of the US right now. The decision has been made based on what is best for us, we’ve paid in full, so it’s DONE.
Ok, enough ranting. It’s been an eventful week, but I’m looking forward to week 22-23!